Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Quilt Room - Ironing Board

I've been working on reorganizing my quilt room and one of the things I have done is taken out my big 18" wide ironing board. It was taking up space that I could use for something else. I went to the hardware store and bought:

18" x 48" board
Batting 22" x 52"
1/2" ironing board cover fabric. (I got this from Jo-Ann's)
Staple gun

(Sorry for the bad lighting)

Here are my supplies all ready to go.

Cut my batting to fit the board with a little extra for wrap around. Using the staple gun to make sure it's taut and no wrinkles.

Batting wrapped and ready for the next step.


Ironing board fabric being wrapped in the same manner as the batting. Just remember to tuck your corners and make them look nice.

Ironing board all done and placed on top of storage shelves.

I made this for about $15.00. Very quick and simple to do.

By making this ironing board I now have usable space under it. As before there was no real usable space. If I need to I can still pull out the other ironing board, but there is no real need to because this one is big enough to handle yardages of fabric.

I'll be sharing with you other things I have done in my quilting room to give me more space.

If you make one of these I would love hear about it.

Until next time,

20 comments:

  1. Thanks! We'll be organizing and whatnot my "studio" whenever we get our own house, including putting in a murphy bed for guests. I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice idea...finding room in one's sewing room is always a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea...my sewing room is small and this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that! Might have to impliment something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I'm always looking for ways to better use my sewing space, and this looks like a project I could totally handle myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, I love that you can store it when not in use and have room for other items!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think i need to make a small version of this to sit on my sewing machine cabinet - just for ironing blocks - wonderful idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a terrific idea! and something as a great Christmas present from my hubby! - Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very similar to the tute I have on my blog to for one that fits over a standard ironing board.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea and storage too, perfect for the sewing room.
    My ironing board is in the way, need to do something like this, myself.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea Chalrie, I may have to consider this for my 'studio' when it arrives! LOL Will dertainly save space and gives plenty of options :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did the same thing years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. So easy to press and iron large pieces of fabric and quilt tops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome!!! Love it and wish I had one. @Paula, where might I find your tute on making one that fits over the standard ironing board?

    ReplyDelete
  14. and if it's too low to the ground place a sandfilled coffee can under the board in each corner, or something of the appropriate height like that, nut cans, etc. then you have even more storage area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did the same thing and then hubby put it on top of a platform that has wire baskets underneath. I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have one just like it .... only a bit smaller. lol I made 6 of them earlier this summer. Had a blast making it and love using it. Here is my post about it.
    http://90milesfromnowhere.blogspot.com/2010/06/ironing-board.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terrific tutorial. I plan to do this in my sewing room if I ever get it back (DS moved back in!). Thrift stores always have sideboards or consoles and that'd be a great bit of storage. Thanks for sharing your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recently moved from Germany and had belonged to the Quilt Guild while there in Heidelberg. The Arts & Crafts Shop had a guy that made them to fit your ironing boards (like Paula mentioned in a comment above). I had one made and then within weeks found out I was leaving Germany. I never found out how to cover it, and didn't want to do anything wrong (can you tell I'm a timid quilter? I don't take chances!), so it's been leaning against the wall in the laundry room for the last two years. NOW I finally know how to cover it. (I wasn't sure if I was to put one or two layers of batting, and had thought muslin went on top, but am thrilled to hear they sell the ironing board cover fabric). This tute was much needed for me! Thanks so much! dmj53(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am going to do that THIS week! Pure brilliance, Charlie. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...