Sunday, April 10, 2011

Finally...

What a great April day in Kansas City. The sun is shining and the temp is in the upper 80's. I think spring is really here.

Many of you know I have been in the hospital, but I wanted to let you know how severe it really was. I was diagnosed with a severe case of pneumonia. It keep me in the hospital for 9 days, but there was talk that they wanted to keep me even longer. Good thing they didn't. I was missing home.

The pneumonia has left my lungs damaged and it is going to take about 6 - 8 weeks to get them back to normal. Maybe not the way they were, but close. I might be forced to take medicatons to treat this for the rest of my life. I am at risk of getting this again.

For me to be able to come home from the Hospital I had to come home with oxygen. I only need the oxygen when I do any activity such as, showering, walking, making a meal. I'm still weak on my feet and have to sit down and rest, they say this will improve with time. My lungs are getting better.

How did all this come about? I've had bronchitis over a month before and I did not take care of it. I was working through it thinking it would just go away, but now I'm paying for it. Also, I never had a doctor, I never got sick, so I thought there was no need. Last time I was sick was 7 years ago. Now I know how important it is to have a doctor. We might have kept this from happening if I had a family doctor that knew my history. I got a lecture from every doctor that saw me in the hospital for not having one. I now have a doctor and I'm on my way to getting better.

This new diagnosis has impacted my quilting. I have no problem sitting at a sewing machine and making blocks, but I can't climb the flight of stairs to get there. So my partner is going to move part of my quilt room to the master bedroom where I can sit and make some quilts. He is even going to move my desktop down as I might design some quilts. I've got a few ideas I want to try out.

Have you been following the Patchwork Squared Modern Solids Quilt Along? Ryan is doing an excellent job with the quilt along.

Don't forget to check out the flickr group and see all the blocks people have made.

Blocks 2 & 3 for the Modern Solids Quilt Along will post on the P2 website tomorrow!

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. Charlie I am so happy to see you posting again. But please listen and do very little because it really takes ages to recover from it. Don't think you're better and can go full pelt again because you can't. It takes time and patience. So, my friend, take extra special care of yourself please.
    Lots of Love
    Patti xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you posting again buddy! So glad to hear you are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home!!!

    Sorry things have been so tough for you; give yourself time and space to heal. It will be slow, but it will happen.

    Sending hugs through the ether...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're alive and well. I've thought about you a lot while you've been ill, and feel happy you're back home recovering. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear you're home and recovering. As a person who's had bronchitis many times, I've learned that the minute I get a cold, I go to my doc's for a checkup. He is really glad that I am diligent and I don't have fear that I'll get pneumonia. I did get pneumonia once many years ago (like you, I didn't have a doctor then) and I got very sick. I never want to go through that again, and I'm sure you don't either.

    Eat healthy, rest, and do as your doctor says. It'll be a long road back. Some days you will feel better than others, but on those good days, rest instead of doing a bunch of stuff. If you don't, it'll come back on you, you'll feel horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness me Charlie, you poor thing - get well soon and look after yourself. Lynne XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your home from the hospital. About 15 years ago I had bronchitis that turned into pnumonia also, its very scary. By the time I heard I was diagnosed it was "resolving". I did make a full recovery, but it took time. I hope yo uget to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been worrying about you. Glad you are on the mend. I didn't realize you'd been hospitalized. Quilting will keep your spirits up, I'm sure. Sounds like you have a great guy that's taking care of you. :) I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Charlie! How scary! I certainly hope that things improve for you very soon.. It sounds like you have taken this with a stiff upper lip as they say and won't take anything lying down. But, by all means.. do what brings you the joy! That is what will get you better the fastest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take it slow and steady and you will win this race!!! You have too many quilts to share-he,he!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...