Monday, December 21, 2009

Learning to Sew Straight

Who knew that sewing a straight line would be so hard. I am using the stitch guide (the little metal arm) that came with my walking foot (even feed foot) and I still have trouble with straight lines. I'm thinking my problem might be that I am sewing way too fast. I need to slow down. I need to put the sewing machine on a slower speed and that way I can't go any faster, plus that would help me stay on the straight and narrow patch per say. I'm also finding that if I don't have it lined up at a 45 degree angle when I start I also get off course. Next time I get a hair up my butt and want to try some cross hatching I will try the blue painters tape. I could off set the tape just a bit from where I want to stitch and follow it with the edge of the walking foot. This way I have no chance of stitching into the tape. Tape that has been stitched into is very hard to get off ones quilt.


I'm looking into a new camera. I'm thinking I might go with the Nikon 12mp coolpix camera, but really don't know that much about other than what I have seen from Ashton on T.V. Just looking for a camera under $200 that is 12 mp or more. Any input?

I've been thinking that some of you might not know what I do for a living. I can't recall if I've blogged about it before or not. That could be old age sitting in. Hell, I'm getting ready for yet another birthday. I can't be 29 forever. Lol, but I digress. I'm manager of a Viking Sewing Gallery here in Kansas City, MO. We sell Singer and Husqvarna Viking sewing machines. Teach new owners how to use their machines, plus all the different accessories and software we sell. At times this can get overwhelming with all the new products coming out. If you would like to be on our E-mail to find out about our sales or upcoming classes please send us an E-mail to vikingkansascity@earthlink.net and we will add you to our list.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on the cross hatching. Remember go S-L-O-W.. Maybe a glass of wine to help you relax.. Can't hurt can it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful with Greg's advice. Remember that post about the seam ripper in his leg? There may have been alcohol involved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie...when I saw your dual feed foot and noticed it was one of the interchangable ones I said to myself "he has a Viking"....so tell me...which one do you drive? btw...I have a HV dealership in Virginia...small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if my camera is still sold or if there is now an upgraded model but I have the Canon Power Shot A560 and love it and it was under $200 when hubby got it as a gift for me...not sure if it was on sale then or not. It takes good still shots and video and has a lot of settings IF you wish to use them...I mostly use it on automatic. LOL Good luck with your camera searching and with your straight-stitching. I think you do need to go a bit slower, as a good first step!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...