I am very happy to be a part of the Sew Red for Women Blog Hop. I hope that it will call attention to heart disease and maybe even save a life.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death of women in the U.S. Almost every minute, a woman in the U.S. dies from heart disease. Nearly five times as many women (200,000) will die from heart attacks alone this year than will die from breast cancer.
Although many people think of heart disease as a man's problem, women can and do get heart disease. In fact, heart disease is the number one killer of women in the United States. It is also a leading cause of disability among women.
The most common cause of heart disease is narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries, the blood vessels that supply blood to the heart itself. This is called coronary artery disease and happens slowly over time. It's the major reason people have heart attacks. Prevention is important: two-thirds of women who have a heart attack fail to make a full recovery.
The older a woman gets, the more likely she is to get heart disease. But women of all ages should be concerned about heart disease. All women can take steps to prevent it by practicing healthy lifestyle habits.
You can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease if you have the information you need, know the questions to ask your health provider and have the support to make heart-smart changes in your life.
Without further ado, I give you our block entitled:
- Four 3 ½” squares of strip fabric & white fabric (Chem 37102-13 & Bella 9900-97)
- One 3 ½” x 6 ½” rectangle of pink, light, medium & dark red. (Bella 9900-140, 9900-27, 9900-199 & 9900-16)
- Sew the four 3 ½” squares to the white 3 ½” squares
- Press seams toward the stripe fabric
- Sew the above rectangles to each of the Bella 3 ½” x 6 ½” rectangles.
- Press seams toward sold Bella fabric.
- Lay out the four pieces as shown above. Flip right vertical row into left vertical row and sew.
- Turn and sew remaining row together.
- Press seams toward sold Bella fabric forming a small four patch in the center.
- Trim to 12 ½”
- Enjoy your new block!
If you have any questions let me know.
Until next time,