Thursday, June 2, 2011

Jammers

I need to come up with a new way of storing my ever growing collection of Aurifil  thread.  Don't you love how Aurifil sews like butter?  I have tried many types of storage cases and none of them have worked for me.  My father made me a thread holder that has spindles and I can store the thread and bobbin together on it, but it's always getting dusty.  I spent more time trying to get the dust off the thread than I was quilting it seems.

I have tried the Art Bin thread storage boxes and they are o.k., but I have to open the top to look in to see what I have.  Plus the one I have is full and I was too cheap to buy another one at 12 some odd bucks and that is the sale price.  I want to save my money for more thread and fabric.   

Then I remembered someone talking about using the Matchbox/hot wheels strange boxes for thier thread.  I did a quick search online to see what I could find and I came up with a few craft stores that were selling them for $24.  Then I did a little more digging and found some on Ebay $12 plus shipping.  Who whats to pay for shipping when you don't have to.  So more digging and soon I found out that they are called Jammers & amp; made by Plano.  Did a search for that and found a thread talking about the Jammers at their local Wal-mart.  They thought they would be smart and try the storage aisle, but no luck so they wandered over to the toys section of the store and lo and behold they found them with the toy cars.  Then the next person said their Wal-mart doesn't carry them.  Not all stores carry the same thing.

What did I have to loose?  I jumped in the car and went for a drive to my local Wal-Mart and look what I found?

Thread case
The Jammers hold 48 large spools of Aurifil thread and it was only $6.  Score!  I only have enough thread to fill one side right now, but I am sure that will soon change.  There is even room inside to place the matching bobbin.  I can pick it up and see right inside an d not have to pull out thread after thread just to get the right one.  This gives me more time for quilting.

I can already see I need to add a few colors to my collection.  The other day I was looking for a grey thread, to which I don't own any and had to break down and buy another brand. Boo.




If I had owned a color card I would not have bought some of the above colors,  but I have learned my lesson on that.  I now have a color card.  It's great to have one on hand.  I can match my fabric right to the thread and get just what I need.  What you see on the screen is not always what you get. 

Until next time,


6 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I wonder if it would work for my low class thread? I have been looking for something to hold my thread and bobbins that match together. I don't own any Aurifil.. they don't carry that around here.. And when I need something, I just run out and buy it NOW. If only I had it all at my store.. or I was ever prepared ahead..right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use plastic containers to hold my threads. I got them from the craft store but always buy when there is a sale or use coupons.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used these for years to hold my machine embroidery thread... Mine were free since I took my son's matchbox cars out of them when he stopped playing with them... I LOVE Aurifil thread...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess I'm heading for Wal-Mart! I love that the little compartments will hold the bobbin, too. I adore Aurifil thread, I found it about three years ago, and wish I would have found it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous find...score! What pretty thread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I just discovered you today...and I had forgotten about the "Hot Wheels" storage bin tip. I had heard it a couple years ago, looked for it at my WalMart, but didn't find it. I think I will go look again!! Thank you! By the way, I love your blog! I am glad I found you (it?)...what ever...

    Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...