Monday, August 23, 2010

Quilt Room Dillemma Two

I have been giving a lot of thought to my quilt room dilemma and I have come up with the following few ideas.  In no real order they are:

Flatware caddy to hold all of my cutters, small rulers or anything I can fit in it.  This way I can keep stuff up off the table and have more room for cutting and I can see what I have.  If I have it in a drawer then I forget that I have and will never use it.  


I got this next idea when I was looking at some books to get more idea for storage and found Organizing Your Craft Space by Jo Packham.  It showed Freddy Moran quilt studio and she had a sliding design wall.  What a great idea.  I could do this myself.  It seems easy.  Just get some closet door mounting  hardware and mount insulation board to it covered in a flannel sheet.  I would still have use of the wall behind.  


I did decide to take the door off  the closet and now can see my yard goods.  I not only have space on the shelf above, but also on either side of the shelves.  I'm going to hang fished quilts and quilt tops here.  It needs a little more cleaning out.   

I still need to do something with all the rulers I have.  They seem to multiply.  I'm thinking I would use some peg board and place it behind the dresser next to the cutting table, but I'm just not sure how much I would use it.  I do like the idea of hanging all the rulers off the cutting counter.  This way I can just grab the one I need and start cutting.  Not have to walk over to the wall then walk back.   


I would love to have these in my quilt room, but I'm not sure I will get them.   I want to store my yard goods here.  I would give my right arm for these.



After doing some thinking at Target.  I think I am going to take my big ironing board out of the room and set up a small ironing station next to the desk.   Maybe put some cubicles storage bins to store my scraps sorted by color.  


I'm going to hang some sheaves above the ironing station and the dresser to give me more space for things.

I think it all sounds like a plan.  I just need to get busy and get it done.

Until next time, 
  

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got some great ideas, Charlie. I really like the sliding design wall idea too - especially if you can somehow manage to have storage behind it for your fabric (not always possible). I have a cutting table that was made from my old kitchen cabinets. It's on wheels and one side is the old cupboards and then the other side was open, but we added a shelf so I could put books and other things. We just put a counter top on it and it was ready to go. I have my rulers hanging off the one side of it so they're very handy. I just used cup hooks to keep them there and tied a ribbon or selvege edge through the hole on the rulers so I could hang them up easily.
    Looking forward to seeing what your room looks like when it's all set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on attempting to make your sewing space more organized and livable! Mine is not very old but when I set it up a year or more ago, I never completely organized the closet, with enough shelving (you can never have enough) so I have been adding, as I go along. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I set up my quilting room several years ago. I could not do without my peg board to hang rulers. Keeps them corralled in one place and sort of organized. I also have a row of brass coat hooks attached to a nice birch board and attached to the wall. Great place for tote bags and whatever else I can hang on them. I also have a bulletin board. Very handy for all kinds of odds and ends.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...