Friday, August 6, 2010

Machine Fridays - Pin Tucks


Pin tucks are small folds in the fabric with are easily made with twin needles.  The two needle threads work with the one bobbin thread which forms a a small zig-zag on the wrong side of the work.  It's the bobbin thread which actually pulls the two rows of the the needle thread together to form the tuck.  The center groove or space under the foot allows the tuck room to form and doesn't flatten it after it's formed.  Pin Tuck feet have additional groves under the foot that serves as spacing guides for stitching multiple rows of tucks. 



You only have to mark the fabric where the first pintuck needs to be stitched.  After stitching the first pintuck, you can place that pintuck under one of the spacing grooves of the foot.  Then, as you sew the next pintuck, let the spacing grove of the foot 'ride' the previous pintuck.



Finer pintucks = 7 to 9 grooves under foot use 1.6 to 2.0 twin needle.
Deeper pintucks = 2 to 5 grooves under foot use 2.5 to 3.0 twin needle.

Until next time,

4 comments:

  1. My machine supposedly does that, but I haven't found a need to try it -and am not sure I ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pin tuck foot, thanks for the instructions, now I feel confident enough to try it! There is actually a tutorial using pin tucks on modabakeshop today, time to get busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used mine in so long I forgot about the twin needle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pintucks, but have made them in years. Thanks for sharing your insights and inspiring. Now I want to make something with this technique.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ps - do you know you have a person leaving non-english comments that may not be appropriate ? You may want to use translator and verify their links. I have stopped allow non-english comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...