Friday, May 7, 2010

Machine Fridays -Decorative Stitches.

To be honest with you I really just want to show off this great purse.  It's for my Mother.  She has known it's been coming for the last two years.  Better late than never I always say.  What do you know? It's done just in time for Mothers Day on Sunday.  Happy Mom's Day.  What are you getting your Mother or what do you want your kids to do for you?


You're thinking to yourself it's Friday, what does this purse have to do with you talking about sewing machines?  It has everything to do with it.  You sewing machine has a lot more stitches than the one that you all use, the straight stitch. 

I bet your machine has stitches that you have never even used.  I know mine does.  The above purse has all kinds of decorative stitches going down the seams and on the top of the inside pockets.  My friend used 30 weight thread and made the stitches wider to accommodate.  Lets take a closer look at some of the yummy stitches that she used.  Do you use words like yummy to describe non food items? 



Look at how the stitch stands out against the cherry and lime fabric.  Not sure that a 50 weight thread would have stood out as nicely. 


Here are even more of the stitches.  The red on red works because of the thread choice.

Here is a stitch chart that gives you the name and what the stitch is used for.

I encourage you to play with your decorative stitches and see what you might come up with.  Why not get your walking foot out the next time you have a smaller quilts that needs quilting and play around.  Just might come up with something fresh and creative. 


Are you the adventurous type that likes to think out of the box?  Then why not write a blog post about it.  Remember it is all about sharing.  Love to hear what you have to say good or bad.



Are you a fan of Qubee Quilts on Facebook?  You will want to be on Monday, May 17th.  Why you ask?  It's something good I promise. 

I will leave you with this.  It was just to cute and I had to share. 


Until next time,


post signature

12 comments:

  1. Looks like someone's trying to sneak a visit in to see grandma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purse! The fabrics are definitely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice use of stitches! i love playing with the stitches on my machine...so many possibilites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the purse and the stitches! Yes, I use "yummy" to describe lots of things that are non food items...lol!

    **waves to Clyde**

    ReplyDelete
  5. The purse looks great! I made my mome a tote bag for Mother's Day, and I used decorative stitches on the straps! I don't have pictures of the straps yet, because I just made them yesterday. I also used decorative stitches on a quilt I made for my mom five years ago. Those stitches really liven up quilting in the ditch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a coincidence! I made my mom a PURSE for Mommy's Day, too! It had a "crazy patch" panel around the top and now I'm just kicking myself that I didn't think to use my decorative stitches! I have a 1 yr old machine that has something like 36 stitches? MAN! Why didn't I think of that?! Well, I guess there's always next yr. Here's a link to a pic of this yr's gift...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5626212&l=230d42f842&id=649501130
    Well, I don't know how to do links, but everybody knows how to copy and paste, right?
    Darlene :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clyde, you're so adorable in that bag -- those are a great colors on you! Charlie, thanks for the inspiration recommendation to try new decorative stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful purse! The stitching makes it even more special! My mom got a bouquet of flowers from me ... only not the kind that can wilt or drop petals or even water. I stitched her a small wallhanging with flowers and a ribbon tying them. Actually the bouquet is my profile picture. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i do love that purse. lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The purse is my "cap of tee",glad to find your blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom will love the purse....the fabric is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...