Friday, March 12, 2010

Machine Fridays - Buying A Sewing Machine

So you're thinking of buying a new sewing machine and you want to know what is the best one to buy.
It's like asking, "what car should I buy?" There are so many different ones out there, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. First  set yourself a budget, find out what features you want/need, and think about what you really plan to use the machine for, and then go to a sewing machine dealer and start your shopping. When you buy a machine, you are buying into a dealer, so make sure you click with the sales person. If you don't like the sales person, you're not going to like the machine.

Don't buy the first machine you see, you want to shop around and see what options you have. Take something you plan on sewing and see if the machine does okay with it. You would not buy a car without test driving it, why would you a sewing machine? It might look good, but feel good for you? What do the stitches look like? Is it easy to use? Does the machine sound like a sewing machine or a jack hammer? Does it have metal parts or plastic? Can the warranty be extended? Where do you have to take the machine for warranty work?   Does it come with a class on how to use the machine? By all means take the class as you will pick up something useful from it. Don't be afraid to take the floor model, you'll get a better price.

Hope this helps with your new machine purchase.  Have the mindset of it being a fun experience and it will be!


QuiltersDaily Blog-AlongQuiltersDaily Blog-Along

Share with others about buying your sewing machine and how much you love your dealer.  Let me know how much you love your machine.

Until next time,


post signature

6 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful I found your blog. I love the mechanics of sewing machines as much as sewing, quilting, and machine embroidery.

    When went looking for my main sewing machine, I went to one dealer and did a test drive of a few machines. I left there and went to another dealer and he had a Baby Lock that was the same as the Brother I'd seen at the other store and it was much less.

    Love my Baby Lock and my other Brother machines. To me, for the price, they are hard to beat.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had good experiences EVERY time I have gone in to the dealer I use. The first salesman was the owner, he told me the next model up wouldn't be much different for what I wanted, so I saved a few bucks. Then, a year later, his Mom was my salesperson. We looked a several machines but she really sold me on the Babylock. She got some fabric and let me sew on it all I wanted. I love my machine AND my dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie...let me add one thing to "Buying a Sewing Machine" go to an independent dealer they have a vested interest in the business and appreciate the business the customers give them. thx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I am looking to buy my 1st machine at some point in the near future. Very helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips. I'm thinkig it MAY be time to replace my old Sears Kenmore, circa 1977. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mostly I piece on my machine. I have Janome that is a wonderful machine, purchased about 10 years ago from a local dealer. However, in the last 2 years I have discovered vintage Singers and I love, love, love them. The stitch quality is the best. They just feel like an old friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...