Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Recycling?

Just checking in for a few minutes to let you know how things are going here in my part of this small world.

As you can see from the picture I've been busy making some flying geese. They will be 2 x 4 once they're done. I'm using just one jelly roll, background fabric and sashing (the rust color fabric). I'll be making Dutchman Puzzle quilt blocks. I run out of the brown background fabric, and who knew that it would take a little over two yards for all these little geese. I was unable to find any at my local quilt shop so I had to order off the net. :-(

I'm using the Dandelion Girl from Fig Tree Quilts from Moda. It seems to me that Moda is recycling their prints. Take a look at the new line Mill House from Fig Tree, then Dandelion Girl, and you will see some of the same prints in a different color. Not sure that I like this idea. Can they not come up with something new for us? Are we out of ideas or is it an "if it's not broke don't fix it" type of thing? Don't get me wrong, I love Moda and what they are doing, but I like to see new fabric lines, not old ones dug up and reprinted in new colors. Am I wrong on this?

Notice the rose red and brown damask-like prints. Same fabric, different line. My local fabric store is moving away from buying Moda because of them recycling prints. She wants new and fresh and I don't blame her one bit.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Nice work on the geese!


    It's sad when they can't come up with original designs and colors. I thought Moda could do better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree w/ you guys. I actually kind of like it. It helps to bridge older lines with what's in the store now, so that you can use some of your older scraps in newer projects. Plus, sometimes a print is so great that I LOVE seeing it in new colors. Of course, if it was a total re-hash, that would be kind of a cop-out ... but so far, no one's doing that. They're keeping just a small handful of "recycled" prints but complementing them with newer stuff too. Diff'rent strokes, I guess ... ! : )

    Still love you guys, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Charlie. Enjoy the geese. Glad you decided to make the Dutchman's puzzle blocks. Those look very cool. Course I haven't ever made one that small. You'll have to share whether they're actually cool or not after they're made. Take care. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I were a "name" quilter. I have some fabric designs that I have created that are fresh and different. But, it is hard to get into the market when you have a full time job in another field that keeps you tied down.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...