Thursday, February 19, 2009

Doing My Part

As many of you may already know Pat Sloan is hosting a virtual retreat this weekend. If you have never been to one they are a lot of fun! So grab all your orange fabrics from your stash and then check out Pat's blog for more information. The OP stands for Orange Pile . I just love the things Pat comes up with. She is so cleaver. I am not sure how much of the retreat I will get to join in on as I have to work this weekend. If nothing else I will be there in spirit.

Did you know that Joann's has thier FQ's on sale this week? They're only $1.00 and as a quilter, I can not pass up a sale and at the same time help out the economy. I had told myself more than once I was not going to buy any more fabric till I use up what I have. Like I would ever stick to that. I work in a fabric store for Goodness sake. I hear it calling to me everyday. I must say I have cut way back on my fabric buying. I only buy when it is on sale. I find that there is always a sale and I do not need a reason to buy fabric other than it being on sale. Hell, just because will work in pinch. Just wait till you see what I got coming to me from Hancock's of Paducah. Yumm Yumm!!

I must say that Joann's has improved thier fabric from what they once had. I just love some of the new stuff they are getting in. It is right up there with the quilt shop fabric now, but I will continue to support my local quilt shop. Where else can a person walk into a store and say "Rita I am making this quilt" hand her a picture and ask her to pick out the fabric? Only in a local quilt store. Try saying that in Joann's and see the reaction you get. I bet you get a 17 year old not knowing a thing about fabric looking at you like a deer in the headlights.

11 FQ's and there is even some orange in there. I have no idea what I am going to do with them yet. Maybe I could use them this weekend. Might need to go stash hunting to add a few more.

On a side note - A guest came in to Joann's and was looking for some jelly rolls. Looked all around the store, but could not find any. She stopped at the cutting counter to ask one of the girls if she might know where they would be. The young girl just looked at her and said you might want to try a bakery as Joann does not carry food items. Another team member was able to help the guest and sent her to a local quilt shop so she might get her jelly rolls. When I heard this story I was rolling on the floor from laughter.

No update yet on the Whirlygiggle or the Midwest Modern quilt. Maybe here soon. I have just not been in the mood to work on them.

I am a quilter and I have 1,658 unfinished projects, but whats one more. See you over at Pats for the virtual retreat.

Charlie

6 comments:

  1. That poor child, wait until someone asks for honeybuns and layer cakes - and whatever they come up with next.

    I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has "committed" to not buying fabric till some is used up...but can't resist it if it is ON SALE and the price is really good. I should tell you about a mail order place where I got a collection of 17 FQs for $16 (my order was over the break point so I got free shipping too - but I had other items). Nah, I will let you suffer. Ask me if you want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with gene...i think i'll do what he suggested and see what they say when i ask for the layer cakes! i'm with you on the local quilt shops...fabric is great but it's the service that makes the difference. have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know i couldn't live without joanns OR my local quilt shops. they both serve a purpose. and I like to spread my money around, LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I don't have Joanns, but I do have LQS, and t'internet! (great apart from shipping and customs
    :o( ) Thanks for commenting on my OP blocks, I've posted the next 6! I've really enjoyed reading your blog and will be back again soon to see what you add to those gorgeos FQs. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see what you are working on! Your fabrics are gorgeous! I am having a blast too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how many unfinished projects you havr. Now my dh cannot complain about me.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...