Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Review: AccuQuilt Go!

I was a little surprised when AccuQuilt asked me if I would like to try out one of their Go! cutting systems. I had no idea that they even knew who I was. I had seen the Go! all over the web and at some retail stores, but never really knew what it was all about.



I was given the opportunity to choose three dies that I wanted to use with the Go! I thought long and hard on this because I did not want any that I could easily cut out with my rotary cutter, but in the end I ended up choosing ones that I really wanted to make a quilt out of and haven't.



I choose Quarter Square-4" Finished Triangles, Diamonds 4 x 4 and Drunkard's Path 3 1/2" Yes, I could very easy cut out the QST, but I got this die because I wanted to make the quilt that Alex did using this cutter and did you see it has dog-eared corner so you can match it up perfectly each time. The other two I got because they are not so easy to cut.

I suggest you go to the AccuQuilt site and check out all the great videos they have on how to use the Go! system.


The first thing you MUST do is mark your dies so you can see the cutting lines. If you don't do this then you will waste fabric. You will find a couple of videos on marking your dies in the video library.


I have not really made any quilts from the Go! yet, but just took some old fabric that I asked myself why I ever bought it and played around seeing what this system is all about.

You really need to plan your cuts. If not then you will be wasting fabric. I would cut my fabric just a little wider than the fished size. Say 1/2" or so. The back of the die cutters tells you to cover only the shape that you want to cut and not the entire board. I used strips and fan folded them till I had six layers or ran out of fabric. I did find the machine a little hard to crank, but remember you are cutting multiple layers at a time and this is a lot of fabric. I would not recommend any more layers than six layers as they will not go through the machine because of the thickness. Start out with fewer layer and build up. Check out how to use your Go! cutter page for more information. There are even cutting tips for you to download.


I would recommend that you not prewash your fabrics as this will remove the sizing from the fabric and your cuts may be off. If you must prewash your fabrics (red fabrics especially) then you should use a spray sizing before you make any cuts.

Read the instructions on the back of each die. AccueQuilt has given you some great tips on how to get the most from each die. There is even a free project using the die in the package.

I would recommend that you buy the Go! Storage rack to hold your dies. It will keep your quilt room clutter free and you will be able to find your dies when you need them.


Go! thinks of everything. They now have Go! reference charts. See how to use your GO! dies with any quilt pattern and get the most efficient use of fabric. These are a must if you are thinking of owning or own a Go!

Does the Go! save you time in the cutting process of quilting? Yes, by all means it does. Cutting multiple layers at a time is a life saver and you know that your cuts are going to be perfect each and every time.

Does Accuquilt stand behind their product? Yes they do and it comes with support like none other. They want you to get the most out of their system, but you must do your homework and read/watch all the great tips. Once that is done you will be well on your way to putting your rotary cutter down for good. O.k. maybe not for good. The rotary cutter is the staple of the quilting room after all.

Thank you AuccuQuilt for bringing this great product into my life. If you don't own a Go! of your own then by all means you need to treat yourself and buy one. After all you do deserve it.



Now you can have my blog posts e-mailed directly to you!  All you have to do is sign up by clicking the link on the right side of the page and enter your e-mail address.

Until next time,

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you Charlie. You do need to plan your cutting with the GO! so you don't waste fabric. But then that is required with the rotary cutter too. I wasted lots of fabric before I learned to plan with the rotary cutter. This is just a different tool that requires different planning.

    NOW that I have used the GO! a while I find that I waste less than when I did it all with the rotary cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool! Thanks for sharing Charlie! Glad you got to be a tester ... I'll be back to see what else you create :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie, have fun with your GO! I have been dreaming of one of these for awhile now! Keep entering giveaways, but no luck as of yet. Hopefully soon!! They look like so much fun and such a time saver too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lucky dog! Have fun and I will be back to check on you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my GO! for 2 weeks now and LOVE IT!!! I received my Winding Ways die and it not only saves time, but a crap load of headaches as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the GO just fabulous? I love mine and use it for so many things. I am always on the GO.

    I'm so happy you're having an opportunity to GO too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome!! You are now a GO! girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great time saver for sure, I have been wanting one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are part of the community of Bloggers with an AccuQuilt product. Can't wait to see what you create with your GO!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice review. Lucky you to be able to test out the GO! I learned a few things I hadn't read about on other blogs~ thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure to leave your email address if you have a question or entering a giveaway so I can be sure to reply to you!

Happy Rainy Wedneday

Hello my friends, How is every one?  Below are some projects that I have been working on. This quilt has been on my design wall for ove...